Agrilaopotamos beach is well known in the community of kitesurf, because this beach is a small paradise for them with strong winds and calm atmospheres. Agrilaopotamos (Παραλία Αγριλαοπόταμος in Greek) is a slightly organized area in Karpathos island with a beach bar, but it is much more suitable for surf than a swim.
Where to find Agrilaopotamos beach in Karpathos
Agrilaopotamos beach is located in the southern side of Karpathos, near Kipi Afiarti (Afiartis) village, just 5 kilometers away from the airport. Pigadia, the capital of the island is about 18 kilometers away from this beach. The access of Agrilaopotamos beach is not complicated at all from the direction of Pigadia, just find the airport of Karpathos, and before you reach its buildings there is a junction where the road sign indicates Arkasa / Lefkos. Turn right here, and after 400 hundred meters you will see another road signs, which show Agrilaopotamos beach (Παραλία Αγριλαοπόταμος), where you have to turn left. Just follow the road and after 4 kilometers you will arrive to this beach.
Why visit Agrilapotamos beach (Παραλία Αγριλαοπόταμος)
Agrilapotamos beach is slightly organized, but it is almost never overcrowded. Behind the beach there is a parking lot and a beach bar (Big Dayz Taverna), but usually there can’t be find parasols or sunbeds for rent. In this part of Karpathos island the winds are much stronger than elsewhere, which make an ideal location for surfing.
Agrilapotamos beach is one of best surf sport in Karpathos island, especially recommended for kitesurfers.
The guests of Agrilaopotamos are primarily the surfers, who spend their time on the sea and enjoy the winds, but there are visitors also who just want to see these guys how to sail.
The seabed of Agrilaopotamos is mainly sandy and has pebbles in some places, while the sea deepens slowly. The small bay is ideal for how to learn to surf, and great place for beginners also. The open water with the stronger winds belongs the professionals, who make jumps a few meters high up in the air, presenting amazing maneuvers for the audience.
Agrilaopotamos beach additional info
- Also known as: Paralia Agrilaopotamos, Παραλία Αγριλαοπόταμος in Greek
- Coordinates: 35.429761, 27.111164
- Location: 25 kilometers from Pigadia
- Sea water color: green, blue
- Sand type: sand, with some rocks and pebbles somewhere
- Depth: shallow
- Sea surface: usually calm
- Crowds: usually not crowded
- Facilities: parking lot, beach bar (Big Dayz Taverna)
- Other Information: the open water is suitable for windsurf also
- Accessibility: asphalt road
- Wind conditions: usually windy
- Other beaches nearby: Michaliou Kipos beach (2,2 km), Agios Theodoros beach (3,2 km), the airport beaches of Karpathos, Diakoftis beach (4,9 km)