There are many great hiking routes in Karpathos island, which lead to secluded beaches, to the top of the high mountains, or just several nice trails between the beautiful villages of the island. Don’t forget, Karpathos offer not just amazing beaches for visitors, but it is worth to explore the interesting landscapes and best hiking trails as well.
Karpathos hiking info
As you see, Karpathos island has a lot picturesque landscapes due to its mountanious areas, which offer many interesting walking routes for hikers. Some of these hiking trails are easy as a pie, while other tours are recommended only for experienced, and a tour guide is recommended. If you like hiking, you can reach amazing secluded places and hidden gems, and you can see several places from different perspectives.
A significant part of Karpathos island is characterized by high mountains, pine forests, secluded beaches, untouched valleys and traditional villages, which means unique experiences and great adventures for the visitors of Karpathos island. Some villages of Karpathos are connected by hiking trails or dirt roads also, the trails are usually marked by signs or red dots painted on the rocks. Sometimes these are marked by other colours, such as blue.
Hiking in Karpathos is not just a simple activity which can be enjoyed only during summer holidays, because the months of spring and autumn offer usually also great – or even better – walking conditions.
Before you start hiking, you should plan your walk. Make sure before long walks that you have a detailed map, a compass, drinking water, a good and comfortable shoe, and fully charged mobile phone for emergency situation. If you plan a long tour and you are unexperienced, just ask a local tour guide to join, or ask helpful advice. There are some tour guides in Karpathos, who deal with hiking all year round.
Karpathos is a hiking paradise, where the nature is almost untouched, and easy to forget the civilization. The amazing geographical diversity and beauty of the island make it into excellent destination for hiking, one of the best places for this activity in the area of the Aegean Sea.
Advices and tips for hiking in Karpathos island
- Most of the hiking trails are narrow and filled with pebbles, rocks and roots, so you have to watch your step all the time.
- Wear comfortable shoes – one of the most important thing when hiking. If you have only beach sandals, buy a comfortable shoe!
- Always take sun block with you. Protection of your skin is very important, because on sunny days you can easily burn! There are many hiking trails in Karpathos island without natural shade. In addition to sunscreen wearing a hat is also recommended.
- Basic thing is to bring clear water with you. During hot summer months you will need to drink a lot, and if the day is not so warm, you will be thirsty during the hike. Always carry with you a bottle of water, because far from the civilization there are not many wells.
- Take a fully charged mobile phone with you. The signal of the cellphones is average in the villages of Karpathos, and despite the fact that in the mountains the signals are usually poor, but sometimes it can save lifes.
- Prefer the mornings hours for hiking during summer months. In June, July and August the weather can be very hot for walking tours in the afternoons, and as we mentioned above there are several trails without natural shade.
- The best periods for hiking in Karpathos are the days of April and May in the spring, and the days of September and October in the autumn. There are some colder or cloudy days in the summer, when the hiking is suitable, so sometimes it’s worth to watch the weather forecast of Karpathos.
- Keep your environment clean! Never leave trash in the nature.
Karpathos hiking trails
Some basic hiking trails and routes in Karpathos, which are not so complicated.
Aperi – Achata beach (5 kilometers in one direction)
The route starts in the outskirts of Aperi village. You can walk through a beautiful and wild canyon, surrounded with green pine forests and steep cliffs. There are several small caves with stalactites and stalagmites in the walls of the cliffs, which were formed by the nature over millions of years. Before the end of the trail you can take some rest at the small chapel of Achata, and if you go further, you will find one of the best beaches of Karpathos.
Aperi – Volada – Othos – Pyles (8 kilometers in one direction)
One of the most beloved routes leads among the traditional villages of Karpathos island. You can discover other nearby villages, like Stes the small agricultural village. This villages are connected to each other by asphalt road, but in the area there are some dirt roads and trails also.
Kali Limni (1,6 kilometers in one direction)
Conquer the highest peak in Karpathos island! A narrow and barren hiking trail starts from Lastos plateau (Λαστος). As you get higher and higher, you will meet amazing panoramic views. The hiking trail starts from ‘Taverna Kali Limni – Kali Kardiá’ in Lastos, and it’s very important that walking on this trail you can’t find natural shade.
Avlona – Tristomo (Vrikounda / Vrykous) (9 kilometers in direction)
If you like the deserted and untouched landscapes, you will be impressed. The tour starts in Avlona, one of the northernmost villages of Karpathos, and its end is a small bay of Tristomo. You can visit tiny chapels in this tour and also the ruins of ancient Vrikounda, which was one the most important cities in Karpathos island (known as Ancient Tombs Vroukounta).
Katodio – Kato Lakkos beach (1 kilometer in one direction)
The small settlement is located over the hills of Kyra Panagia, and the trail leads to the interesting Kato Lakkos beach. This beach can be reached by boat trip also, but if you follow the hiking trail, the walk offers much more adventure.
Diafani – Vananda beach (2,4 km in one direction)
The dirt road to Vananda beach is a simple, but great hiking trail in the area of Diafani village.
Diafani – Apokampos beach (4,4 km in one direction)
This trail leads on the southern hills of Diafani, and ends in a small secluded beach.
For more interesting hiking trails just ask the local tour offices and guides in Karpathos island.
Hiking trail to the Acropolis Of Ancient Arkasa
If you visit Arkasa (Arcesine) village, you can climb up the ruins of ancient Arkasa. On the hill you can find the remains of the ancient village of Karpathos and also you will see great panoramic views to Arkasa.
Let’s discover Karpathos on foot, and collect great experiences!